It’s gone. Or really, to be more accurate, it never arrived. It’s kind of like when you order a gift online and don’t spend your weight in silver dollars to get it quicker than standard shipping. 10-12 business days is a long time. But this is worse because it’s already BEEN 10-12 business days and I still don’t have it. My Christmas spirit has gone MIA.
I think it all started when the day after Thanksgiving passed me by and I didn’t pull out my boxes brimming with Christmas sparkle and cheer. A few more days went by and I honestly couldn’t muster the cheer-o-meter past a paltry “Christmas Apathy” level. I think I missed the window. I think there was a window and I completely let it collapse like a porthole to an alternate reality.
It’s not like I haven’t TRIED to get it back. After all, I’m not a total grinch!
- I’ve applied the ELF-ish philosophy. After all, the best way to spread Christmas cheer is singing loud for all to hear. Done that.
- I’ve made the usual Christmas treats…spritz cookies and Christmas truffles. Nothing.
- I’ve watched a made for TV Christmas movie per my roommate Liz’s suggestion.
- I helped my department decorate for Christmas. This involved setting up a Christmas tree. Ooooh Tannenbaum. Nope.
- I pulled out my Yankee Christmas candle. I’ve even burned it a few times.
- I’ve been Christmas shopping. At a MALL. C’mon now! That’s hardcore Christmas.
- The snow and cold is screaming wintery Christmas. That’s really only succeeded in making me more paranoid about driving on the roads.
- I made a Pandora Christmas playlist. And I very nearly fell asleep at my desk.
- I posted a few Christmas posts willing myself to believe them. Unfortunately, nothing happened.
Let’s face it…I’m practically a scrooge. Is there any coming back from this? At this point, I think it’s possibly too late. Maybe I’ll just skip Christmas this year. I mean, it didn’t work that great for the characters in John Grisham’s novel, but this is real life, people. I think I might be able to make it happen. Whaddya think? Is there hope? Or maybe some sort of vitamin I can take to restore this deficiency?