Yes, that’s right – the reality of it is finally sinking in! I’m one of those people that doesn’t really believe that she’s going somewhere until she actually gets on the plane – that’s when the excitement sets in.
That’s how I felt today too…here’s what I did in my first day as a marketing assistant –
1. Ordered office supplies – Since the receptionist is out on vacation until tomorrow, the supply room was running a bit low. I don’t mind at all – I got to pick out the stuff that I want and I got a RED stapler (Office Space, anyone?) and a RED tape dispenser! Did I mention that I got to order WHICHEVER one I WANTED??
2. Did some research – My new boss Tiffany handed me a 35 page hand out with marketing terms to familiarize myself with. Gibberish such as EMS, ABA, ISBN, etc will soon become second nature to me…of this I have no doubt, given the amount of diligent study that I employed.
3. Read through some e-mails -The 12 emails that awaited me will be dealt with tomorrow as I have not the faintest idea what to do with them as of yet. HEY! I’m a NOVICE people.
4. Made some copies DESPITE the “help” of the Kinko’s employees – We are promoting a new book coming out called “Do Hard Things” and I made copies of some publicity articles on the good ole color copier. Took me some time given the fact that the lady didn’t know how to change a toner cartridge and it took them a while to figure out a minor problem having to do with paper size.
5. Collated and assembled 200 folders – To assist with the publicity for the aforementioned book, we put together packets with a copy of my stellarly copied articles, a brochure, DVD and a flyer thingy (there’s got to be a technical term for that piece…I’m sure it will be taught to me eventually). BTW, I didn’t assemble all 200 by myself. My boss Tiffany and my co-worker Carly helped. It went super fast
6. Took some books – Don’t worry, I’m not stealing from my employer on my first day! These books are actually ALLOWED to be given away to ME (the new employee). I picked up some new authors, some old beloved authors, and some interesting titles. I was like a kid in a candy store, let me tell you! This should have been my job through high school – bet I would have saved a LOT of money and would have been independantly wealthy by now. Darn it!
7. Got introduced to my co-workers – I think I’m going to love them. It’s such a fun office environment and there are a lot of girls my age that work there including (but not limited to) my new friend and cubicle-mate, Liz. She made me feel super welcome and I’m excited to get to know her better at lunches and what not.
So, that was my first day. It wasn’t overwelming at all – but I know that there is probably loads more to come, considering that I haven’t really been given any of the tasks for which I will be perpetually responsible. I think there will be some major training tomorrow, but I’m not concerned. I’m sure I’ll pick it up eventually – there’s LOADS of space in that brain of mine just itching to go to work. 🙂
Thanks for all of your prayers and support! I’ll let you know how the rest of the week goes. 🙂
P.S. I get my own NAME tag and EVERYTHING on my cubicle “door”.
P.P. S. I get to put anything up in my cubicle that I want! On the walls and EVERYTHING! You all are going right up there to smile down on me…whether you like it or not.